Motivation is certainly the foundation of all athletic achievements and efforts. Motivation is the key to success. Without motivation, dedication and determination to improve your performance, rest of the mental factors including focus, intensity, confidence and emotions would then become pointless and meaningless. If you wish to become successful, you must stay motivated and it is only through motivation, you could maximize your efforts and ability to achieve your goals.
Motivation could be defined as the ability or the capacity to initiate and go on persisting at any task. If you wish to put up the best sports performance, you must initiate the process of becoming an athlete by consistently maintaining your efforts until your goals are achieved. Motivation in sports seems to be extremely important and plays a pivotal role particularly because you need to go on working hard fighting against boredom, fatigue, pain and also, the desire and wish to devote time to other things.
Motivation is known to be impacting everything that is supposed to influence your performance as an athlete such as mental preparation, physical conditioning, tactical and technical training and lifestyle in general including diet, sleep, relationships and work.
OUTWARD SIGNS DEMONSTRATING LOW MOTIVATION
There are numerous signs of lack of or low motivation.
- There seems to be a definite lack of desire for practising as much as one should.
- Putting in less than 100 percent efforts, as far as, training goes.
- Shortening or even skipping training.
- Putting in an effort which seems to be inconsistent with your objectives.
THE MOST IMPORTANT THREE D’S
You seem to be really motivated if you devote 100 percent of your energy, time, effort and focus into your sports. It would involve indulging in everything possible for becoming the best athlete. The three Ds is the key to prime motivation. The first D means direction. Before you could achieve prime motivation, you need to choose from the diverse directions that you could take in your sporting career. You need to choose from three options including stop participating completely, carry on at your present level or strive towards becoming the best athlete ever.
The second D would represent the decision. You need to decide which direction to take. There is nothing right or wrong or even better or worse among these directions. You simply need to make the right decision for yourself. Your choice would be dictating the kind of time and energy you would be devoting to your sport and what kind of athlete you would be becoming in future.
The third D is nothing but dedication. Once you have decided what to do, you must stay dedicated towards that goal. You could achieve success only by being completely dedicated and devoted to your direction and decision. Your top priority should be your decision to become the very best and your dedication towards your sport.
WAYS TO STAY MOTIVATED
- Focussing on your long-term objectives and goals is a good idea. Keep reminding yourself why you are putting in so much hard work.
- Have a training partner to constantly motivate you and inspire you to go on despite odds. Even if you are pushing yourself constantly, you would be working much harder if there is someone behind you all the time pushing you and motivating you in achieving your goals.
- Focussing on your toughest and greatest competitor would help you go on.
- Generating positive emotions help. Stay motivated through inspirational photographs and phrases.
You must remember that nothing could be more motivating and rewarding than setting your precise goal, putting in your efforts toward achieving the goal and finally, attaining the goal.